Results 9,141 to 9,160 of 9447
  1. #9141 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    GrandPrix Junkie
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Yep, Flex XC 3401VRG.

After a lot of research I also ordered the 5.5" Lake Country Force Hybrid 6 pad set, a mini 4.5" backing plate and a 16oz. bottle of Megs D30016 correction compound and D30216 microfiber polish.

All I need to get now is a good claybar and some time. Also need to figure out the best way to clean the pads out when I'm done.

2. #9142 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    All i really buy for clay is the Mothers kit, like below $20.

I use a glug of Zep 505 in a 5 gallon pail and let them soak for a day or 2 or whenever I notice them.
    Wring and rinse by hand.

Don't over saturate your pad and wipe off residue(old polish and paint) after each pass.
    I'm sure you know not to let it sit since it's forced rotation. Plus plastic heats up quick so the spoiler and bumpers need to be careful.

3. #9143 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    GrandPrix Junkie
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Thanks for the info on the clay and cleaning of the pads. Looks like the clay will be the cheapest thing, lol.

When you refer to cleaning off the residue, are you referring to the pad itself or the panel? If panel I figure I'd run one panel at a time, wipe it down and see where it's at.

And yea, ABS doesn't like a lot of heat so always gotta keep it moving. What I liked about the reviews of the Flex is that it doesn't take a lot of downward pressure to use and as long as you keep moving seems pretty easy to use once you get the feel of the force it needs to do its thing. That and I can always adjust the speed a bit so I don't cook the clearcoat.

4. #9144 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the clay and cleaning of the pads. Looks like the clay will be the cheapest thing, lol.

When you refer to cleaning off the residue, are you referring to the pad itself or the panel? If panel I figure I'd run one panel at a time, wipe it down and see where it's at.

And yea, ABS doesn't like a lot of heat so always gotta keep it moving. What I liked about the reviews of the Flex is that it doesn't take a lot of downward pressure to use and as long as you keep moving seems pretty easy to use once you get the feel of the force it needs to do its thing. That and I can always adjust the speed a bit so I don't cook the clearcoat.
    Both I guess, never really thought about it that way. Yeah, wipe spent polish off paint and pad.
    Just start slow at 3 or 4 to get the hang of it. When I compound I set at 6 . Polishing is usually a little lower.

5. #9145 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    GrandPrix Junkie
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Cool, thanks for the info. It's one thing to watch someone on YouTube do it but like to hear from an actual user.

I saw a tip about setting it on low and pressing the pad against an old bath towel to remove spent polish/paint as you go is the only reason I mentioned it. Figured it would keep the pad clean enough to do the whole car and lessen the chances of swirls especially if doing a lot of compound.

6. #9146 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    I used to like to wash mitt between compound and polish.

Might get my GTP back as early as today. They had the trans built mid-afternoon yesterday.
    All Grand Prix, all the time. 69 Model J, 99 GT & GTP coupes. All junk, haha.

7. #9147 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Oh and I got the A/C going on the GT. It was badass to be dry and comfy on the ride home yesterday. Been humid and in the 90s a lot lately. Todays high lower 70s. I just about have all the panels made for the 51 cab at work.

The model A is in primer-

8. Likes Scottydoggs, spazzz, ThatOldCarSmell liked this post
  9. #9148 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    GTP Level Member dazedandconfused's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Put my intense tuned pcm in this morning and swapped in a junkyard maf to see if it would help my surging and stalling at idle. Seemed to but then when I went for a ride to see how the new tune works, my surging idle was back. Kinda has me confused but I'm not paying 150 for a new maf right now for a car that gets drove once every few weeks.

Intense tune woke the old girl right up. Wot shifts are crispy and the 180* tstat fan settings work wonders for trans and coolant Temps. Now time to get headers and rockers and start dropping pulley sizes. On that note, anyone know a half decent set of headers, or is it a crap show getting any to fit right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    97 gtp, cone filter mod, downpipe and glasspack to stock muffler mod, 180* t-stat mod, bad driver mod

10. Likes ThatOldCarSmell liked this post
  11. #9149 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    SE Level Member ThatOldCarSmell's Avatar
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedandconfused View Post
    On that note, anyone know a half decent set of headers, or is it a crap show getting any to fit right?
    I've heard some folks say the original SSAC headers were great for the price, but more recently (we're talking posts from around 2015), I saw people saying quality wasn't what it used to be. Now? who knows. I asked for the same input a day or 2 ago on another post and haven't heard anything yet, but I know that if the fitment isn't terrible on them, it's hard to argue with a set of SS headers for the price of a ZZP 3" DP.
    99 GTP:
    ZZP FWI , ZZP 3" catted DP, Resonator delete,The occasional Poly bushing, ZZP front sway Bar, NGK TR6's, LED Headlights, 180* TStat, Anti- pogo washers ...This list seemed a lot longer before I started typing....

12. #9150 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedandconfused View Post
    Put my intense tuned pcm in this morning and swapped in a junkyard maf to see if it would help my surging and stalling at idle. Seemed to but then when I went for a ride to see how the new tune works, my surging idle was back. Kinda has me confused but I'm not paying 150 for a new maf right now for a car that gets drove once every few weeks.

Intense tune woke the old girl right up. Wot shifts are crispy and the 180* tstat fan settings work wonders for trans and coolant Temps. Now time to get headers and rockers and start dropping pulley sizes. On that note, anyone know a half decent set of headers, or is it a crap show getting any to fit right?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    on top of the maf is its part number, search it on ebay. buy a used one. most are 40 or less. i ran a used maf for 10 years, only reason i retired it was because i did a gen 5 with a n*.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, gen 5 N* 3.0 pulley, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

13. #9151 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Got my GTP back. $2574. Feels like a top fueler after all that GT time.

14. #9152 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    good to hear. you have em put the full trans go shift kit or anything good while they was in there?

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, gen 5 N* 3.0 pulley, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

15. #9153 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    No, they will turn down the job if you say shift kit so I didn't ask this time. All it got was "banner kit", forward (rear) band hi energy, 2-1 coast band, converter, filter. They said I did not hurt the diff. Now it "hunts" going up small hills and eventually shudders like a rumble strip then I let off. I will have to throw a full boat of tuneup parts at it before I could say whether its an "issue". Its like that thing they all do just overly intense.

16. #9154 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    SE Level Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    "Rumble strip" feel screams torque converter issues... that's like THE tell-tale sign.

17. #9155 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by onxy View Post
    "Rumble strip" feel screams torque converter issues... that's like THE tell-tale sign.
    So just take it back, eh?

18. #9156 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
    So just take it back, eh?
    If you paid 100% of the bill, you should be 100% satisfied.

19. Likes Scottydoggs, idrivejunk liked this post
  20. #9157 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    for that kinda money there had best be a warranty. and id use it.

shop up here that did the work truck. we tow and haul weight all day, every day. its tc took a dump and we got a full rebuild. i asked about a shift kit being installed and the guy said we recommend them. so it was installed. truck still pulls damn good and shifts real firm still a few years later now.

21. Likes idrivejunk liked this post
  22. #9158 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    First time it was built they were like hey, no we do not do "performance". I'm about to put plugs wires coil on it then run some injector cleaner (sat for months) and good gas through before casting stones. Remember I have always complained of lugging on hills in high humidity, its some kind of missed spot in the tune. And all the parts I just said have 70K or more on them. Before the trans went, it was running pretty disgusting. It was winter. Maybe with it purring like a kitten it won't chug so bad.

I hoped you would chime in, B.

23. #9159 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Oh and warranty requires they see it again in a week. To check for leaks. Rest assured that any gripes I have at that point will be voiced.

24. #9160 Re: What did you do to your car today? Vol 2.0 
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Chats
    Quote Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
    Oh and warranty requires they see it again in a week. To check for leaks. Rest assured that any gripes I have at that point will be voiced.
    you try swapping the maf from one car to the other? bad maf can cause odd tranny behavior.