Thread: Planning my mods, need advice

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 96 of 96
  1. #81 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Everyone gets oil from the sender. Most people run the drain to the oil level sensor.

    It's really easy. If you have a welder, you can save a lot of money building it yourself. You can probably intercool and E85 it at the same time with the money you'd save.

    2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2001 GTP Drag Car - XPZ, Tischler heads, NB intercooler, e85, Gen V, 2.3 w/ 5%OD
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. Advertisement




  3. #82 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    Everyone gets oil from the sender. Most people run the drain to the oil level sensor.

    It's really easy. If you have a welder, you can save a lot of money building it yourself. You can probably intercool and E85 it at the same time with the money you'd save.
    I don't have a garage, and i live in an apt so fabrication isn't something id like to do. If i had a house, i 100% would be willing to take this on.
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #83 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Ah yeah, that would be almost impossible to do without a garage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #84 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GrandPrix Junkie ItHurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    3,370
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Dislikes (Received)
    2
    Chats
    124167
    M90 tail lights to a turbo isnt even the same ballpark, m90 cant ever hang.

    If you people are so worried about a 2 second lag from a DEAD stop, get a higher stall. Because after those 2 seconds, its m90 what?

    This twin is getting to technical, get better mpg and throw the m90 in the trash, e85 it and go nuts.

    Turbo on stock injectors good luck, thing will barely be spinning to test its output level.
    2000 GTPT Sold-brandonhall10 built trans
    2009 Challenger SRT8
    http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...uestion.....no
    Expert at being gay.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #85 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Most turbo cars, especially the base kits run 12's. With work, they get into the 11's.

    I have a 10 second m90 car in my garage, shooting for 9's. Most turbo cars can't hang.


    Stock injectors will support about 300whp. It'll definitely get it running and will be fine, especially without an intercooler.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #86 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by ItHurtz View Post
    M90 tail lights to a turbo isnt even the same ballpark, m90 cant ever hang.

    If you people are so worried about a 2 second lag from a DEAD stop, get a higher stall. Because after those 2 seconds, its m90 what?

    This twin is getting to technical, get better mpg and throw the m90 in the trash, e85 it and go nuts.

    Turbo on stock injectors good luck, thing will barely be spinning to test its output level.

    Stock injectors are really only a stop gap until the end of june when i can get some 60s or 80s. I have to imagine i will still make more power with stock injectors on a turbo, than I have right now with a 3.5 inch pulley.
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #87 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    Most turbo cars, especially the base kits run 12's. With work, they get into the 11's.

    I have a 10 second m90 car in my garage, shooting for 9's. Most turbo cars can't hang.


    Stock injectors will support about 300whp. It'll definitely get it running and will be fine, especially without an intercooler.

    Off topic, but what the heck is done to your m90 to make that kind of power?
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #88 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Lots and lots of intercooling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #89 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    Lots and lots of intercooling.
    That's VERY cool, But i imagine that a similarly intercooled big turbo build would be faster no? (not a judgement at all, a serious question)
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #90 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    A few questions before i pull the triger on the turbo:

    1. Will i need a wide band o2 to tune it right away?
    2. I know im going to have to tune it, this is a semi related question, when folks say "tune" for a mod, are they referring to fixing the fuel trims agains maf, or timing, or?
    3. when do i start worying about the bottom end of the engine?
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #91 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    That's VERY cool, But i imagine that a similarly intercooled big turbo build would be faster no? (not a judgement at all, a serious question)
    Absolutely. I want the m90 1/4 record though. I'm not sure I have deep enough pockets or the understanding of the chassis to get the turbo 1/4 record.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #92 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    Absolutely. I want the m90 1/4 record though. I'm not sure I have deep enough pockets or the understanding of the chassis to get the turbo 1/4 record.
    Thats fair. I wouldnt mind shooting for "most powerful wbody regal in RVA" I think its specific enough for me to have a shot.
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #93 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    A few questions before i pull the triger on the turbo:

    1. Will i need a wide band o2 to tune it right away?
    2. I know im going to have to tune it, this is a semi related question, when folks say "tune" for a mod, are they referring to fixing the fuel trims agains maf, or timing, or?
    3. when do i start worying about the bottom end of the engine?
    If you can swing a wideband, it's a good idea. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but it definitely lowers the risk of hurting the engine.

    Tune refers to all the above. Fueling needs to be on. With a turbo, you usually are best off leaving timing stock. Or even lower it. Lower timing will help spool the turbo, but if you're twincharged, you dont have to worry about that. Other than that, trans tuning will help it last longer.

    Keep it from getting kr, and you usually dont have to worry about the bottom end. 11.5 afr on the wideband will keep from melting a piston. Most of these bottom ends are indestructible as long as you don't lean out and dont get kr.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #94 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GTP Level Member 04lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    3441
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    If you can swing a wideband, it's a good idea. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but it definitely lowers the risk of hurting the engine.

    Tune refers to all the above. Fueling needs to be on. With a turbo, you usually are best off leaving timing stock. Or even lower it. Lower timing will help spool the turbo, but if you're twincharged, you dont have to worry about that. Other than that, trans tuning will help it last longer.

    Keep it from getting kr, and you usually dont have to worry about the bottom end. 11.5 afr on the wideband will keep from melting a piston. Most of these bottom ends are indestructible as long as you don't lean out and dont get kr.
    Makes sense. Since im doing the turbo in stages, i definitely will get a Wideband at somepoint.

    I think i am going to try and tune my car for e85 while i wait for the turbo to get some experience.

    I was also reading that e85 is more lenient with timing and can allow me to adjust it more for a much faster spool.
    2017 GTI 6mt 320whp 400wtq , 2012 Volvo S60 T6 300hp of Swedish safety 2004 Buick Regal GS "Gramps" .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #95 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    GXP Level Member GTPpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Schuyler, NE
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Dislikes (Received)
    0
    Chats
    262
    E85 is much more forgiving. Less timing will help it spool faster though. More timing builds cylinder pressure which causes kr.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #96 Re: Planning my mods, need advice 
    Killa Bee Scottydoggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    38,920
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    90
    Dislikes (Received)
    3
    Chats
    197504
    from what ive seen about twin charging, your best just picking one, they all seem to blow up sooner or later. its nothing id do to my daily driver or only car.

    best bang for your buck will be the turbo for sure tho.

    98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. Advertisement




Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. New guy advice for mods
    By Cory2236 in forum Introductions/Noob Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2017, 02:16 PM
  2. Planning next MODS.
    By rickisrad in forum 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
  3. what do you think? need some advice on mods.
    By gtpeddie in forum General Grand Prix Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM
  4. some advice on my mods?
    By David99GTP in forum 3.8L V6 Supercharged (L67)(L32)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
  5. Mod advice from those w/o mods
    By IndeedSS in forum The Rant Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •